About Save Our Fins
- ‘Save Our Fins’ is a shark conservation campaign with the objective to address the declination of sharks due to excessive and unethical hunting to meet the demands of shark products by educating the public on the crucial existence of sharks in our marine ecosystem.
- This high profile shark conservation campaign is Aquaria’s second conservation campaign after ‘Saving the Turtles’.
- Visitors will also be urged to participate in the campaign Sign for my Survival program where they can make a pledge to SAY NO to shark fin soup. These pledges and signatures will be handed over to the relevant authority for the next course of action in persuading the Malaysian government to legally ban shark hunting in the country.
Shark Conservation in Malaysia
- To create awareness by educating the community on the importance of maintaining a balanced marine ecology system that involves sharks.
- To gather as many ‘Sign for my Survival’ pledges as possible to be sent to the Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry.
We have yet to identify sharks as an endangered species in Malaysia. 100 million sharks are killed each year to meet the increasing demand for shark fin soup. Sharks are often still alive when their fins are hacked off. As the meat is not as highly in demand, these sharks are thrown back into the sea and left to die, a slow, painful death.
This is resulting in close to a 99% decline on some shark species. In line with this, Aquaria KLCC has launched the Save Our Fins conservation project aimed at creating an awareness about the inhumane act of shark fining in the hopes that this will stop.
Be part of this campaign by pledging your signature that will be presented to the Ministry of Agriculture in order for sharks to be recognized as an endangered species.
Do your part in making a difference. Say no to Shark Fin Soup.